Oct 21, 2013

The Hair Chronicles: No Shampoo Challenge

If you read my last post you already know I hate taking care of my hair. The less work I have to put into it, the better. That is why I have wanted to give the no shampoo challenge a try. I'm sure we have all heard of it by now, but if you haven't, here is a quick run-down.

The idea is that shampoos strips our hair of to many natural oils, so our scalps compensate by adapting to make more oils faster. This is why when most of us go for just a couple of days without shampoo our hair looks like a giant grease ball. Apparently, if you stop using shampoo, your hair will regulate itself again and eventually look healthier and shinier than ever before. Sounds awesome right? Less work for better hair, yes please! Now this method won't work for anyone who uses a lot of styling products in their hair regularly. There's just no way to get all that product build-up out of your hair without shampoo.

I started this challenge a week ago and my hair is pretty gross right now. It has not come out of its bun for days, whenever I run my hands through my hair they feel horribly greasy after. Here are a couple pictures of my nasty head:



Yep, pretty gross. This process does take a few weeks though. Sometimes even up to a month. I'm not worried though, my hair can stay in a bun forever for all I care.

I will be trying out a few natural hair cleaning methods that don't strip away natural oils. The first one I plan to try is a mixture of apple cider vinegar and baking soda. I will let you know how each cleaning method works and my general hair progress in future posts!

If anyone has tried the no shampoo challenge before, let me know how it worked out for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment