Oct 21, 2013

The Hair Chronicles: An Introduction

Welcome to the hair chronicles! These are going to be basically any post related to my hair. If I dye my hair or cut it or do anything else to it, you will hear about it. I have also just started the no shampoo challenge so a post about my first week experience will be up later today.

Before we dive in though, I better tell you about the relationship I have with my hair. Let's just say I kind of hate it. Well, not my hair, just having to deal with it. This hate goes all the way back to when I was a little girl, refusing to brush my hair. My mom would have to chase me down with a hair brush to get any tangles out of it. When I was old enough to be brushing my hair on my own, I pretty much stopped doing it except for once or twice a week. I have very fine hair that used to be stick straight, so detangling was a giant pain. My hair lived in a ponytail most of the time.

In grade 8 I discovered the magic of hair dye, when my mom helped me dye all the tips of my hair red. This was somewhat of a hair turning point because it did of course look best down after this, so I was forced to actually take care of it. I have been dyeing my hair various colours since then, but only ever in small chunks. There are 2 reasons for that. 1) I really do like my natural brown hair colour and I want people to still be able to see it. 2) The thought of my entire head of hair being damaged by bleach terrifies me because that means more work in the long run.

When I was in highschool I had it all chopped off on a whim after someone jokingly threw a pile of leaves at me and they all got in my hair and made a huge mess. Class had just finished and my hair was a giant mess that I did not want to detangle, so I went straight to a salon. The next day I had almost no hair and it was great! I kept my hair short for a couple of years until I had almost forgotten about my hate for hairbrushes and decided to grow it out again. Since then it has been long and it still rarely gets brushed with more than just my fingers.

The past few years my hair has drastically changed texture though. It went from being so straight it could barely hold a curl longer than 15 minutes, to being naturally wavy. It's almost as if my hair has adapted to how little I care for it! It now looks voluminous and wavy without having to do anything to it. I still hate brushing my hair, and it does live in a messy bun on top of my head a lot, but I think we are finally starting to get along! Maybe someday my hair will learn how to detangle itself!

This is basically what my hair texture is like now with no products in it. This picture is a bit old, so the colours are not the same anymore, but this showed the texture the best.



So that is the story of my hair. This was the first of many long-winded, rambling posts in which I complain about it. If you actually read through that entire thing, you deserve a prize! I don't have one for you, but know you deserve it. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment