Apr 6, 2014

My No Makeup Makeup Look! (My Foundation Routine)

Normally, I am used to jamming colours all over my face daily. Often if I am not going to be doing extra bright makeup, I won't wear any at all to go out. I don't have too many skin complaints, other than my disgusting eye bags, so I don't mind going places with a bare face. Sometimes I do need to pull out a nice toned down makeup look. One that makes me look a bit more refined without looking like I have caked on the makeup! Today's look is for those occasions.

I am actually going to walk you through all of the skin products and foundation I use as well. I don't often do that because I want to focus on the eyeshadow, but today we want to focus mainly on skin. The goal is to look as fresh and awake as possible. I will warn you now that this is going to be a really loooong post so that I can thoroughly explain everything.

I will show you the look first, then tell you what I did.

I love my hair like this I think I'm just going to keep doing it this way! It is so easy! If you want to see how it is done click here!

To start my makeup off I make sure my face is cleansed and tones. I use Cetaphil cleanser and have been for years. I find it gentle and non-drying. I then toned my face with Sisley's Floral Toning Lotion. I ran out of my usual witch hazel toner, and had a sample bottle of this stuff, so I am using it up. Once I am clean and fresh I add a layer of moisturizer. I used a garnier for dry skin face moisturizer and the Burt's Bees Radiance Eye Cream on my puffy eye bags. I put a fairly thick layer of moisturizer on and let it sink in for several minutes if I have enough time.

Next comes foundation. I don't use primer unless I am going out at night. For my foundation I used my favourite, Annabelle Skin True in their lightest shade. Unfortunately that means that this foundation is not good for really pale ladies, but if you have medium toned skin, this stuff is perfect! To apply this I use the elf duo fibre stippling brush. I place a pea sized amount of foundation on the back of my hand, then dot that all over my face. With the brush I smooth it over my face first, then I use small circular motions to make it blend seamlessly into my skin.

Now it is time for concealer. I use the BH Cosmetics Jumbo Concealer Pencil in Fair on any spots or redness I have, as well as around my mouth because that is always discoloured on me. I don't often have many spots to conceal but i blend a bit of this, with my finger, over all the red patches on my cheeks and nose that foundation won't quite cover. I then use a undereye brightener/concealer. The one I used today was the Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Concealer in the shade Ivory. to apply it I sweep it under my tear bag and on my bigger undereye bag, then pat it in with my ring finger. Afterwards I rub any leftover concealer on my finger onto my upper eyelid.

To set everything I used the ELF HD Setting Powder and the ELF flat powder brush. This brush is huge and has a very flat top. I only use patting motions and apply a very small amount of powder all over my face.

For blush I used the ELF Blush & Bronzer duo in St. Lucia and the small stippling brush from ELf as well. This is a really tiny stippling rush and it is perfect if you don't want to apply too much blush. On heavier makeup days I normally use a larger blush brush. I used only the blush side in the compact. I used circular motions to apply the blush only to the highest part of my cheekbones, bringing it back to my hairline. For a really natural flush I make sure not to apply any blush to the apples of my cheeks only on the sides as high up as possible.

And Now your face is mostly finished! You could really just apply a bit of mascara and go if you wanted to. I did just a few more things though, to make this look a bit more put together. First off, my eyebrows are pretty sparse on their own so I used my Dermafrost Beauty Indellible Brow pencil in the shade taupe then ran a spooly brush through them.

I didn't do any eyeshadow, but I did use a plain black eyeliner pencil to do a thin line across my top lashline. This helps define my lashline and make my eyes look a bit rounder or more open. If you already have very round eyes you can line only the outer half of your lashline. This will make the eye a bit more elongated. I did the tiniest of wings on my outer corner because I just couldn't help myself but you don't have to. I then applied 2 coats of mascara to my top lashes only. You can put a coat on your bottom lashes if you want, but mine are so short that it doesn't always end well.

The finaly thing for this look was a quick swipe of a light pink lip gloss. I used a Burt's Bees Lip Shine in the shade Wink.

And that's it for the look! This post was starting to seem long and wordy so here is a goofy pic to end it.

I hope this post helped a few of you! I often try to end these posts with a question for you guys but I can't really think of any right now.... What's your favourite foundation I guess?

4 comments:

  1. Your goofy face is adorable :-) It's funny that someone else's foundation routine is so interesting to me even though I don't wear foundation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I shall call it the hamster face, it makes me think of a hamster!

      Delete
  2. You have the most gorgeous skin Kat! You're a natural beauty :)

    ReplyDelete