Feb 17, 2014

What's For Dinner? Veggies In Peanut Sauce

This is a dinner I made a few nights ago, served over some leftover rice. Whenever I make rice, I like to make the biggest pot possible, so that I can make at least one more meal with it later in the week. It is less work and dishes in the long run!

Ingredients:
- Onion
- Chinese Broccoli
- Baby Bok Choi
- Nappa Cabbage
- Zucchini
- Eggplant

Sauce Ingredients:
- Peanut butter (about 1/4 c)
- Coconut Cream (about 1/2-3/4c)
- Water (enough to make it runny and smooth)
- Soy Sauce (a few tbsp, until it tastes salty enough)
- Lime juice (to taste)
- Fish sauce (just a few drops)
- Chili paste (a few spoonfuls, depending on how much heat you like)
- Garlic, grated (about 3 cloves)
- Ginger, grated(2 cubic inches or so)
- Cilantro, chopped (a big handful)

I made the sauce ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, so that all the flavours would mix together well. When it was time to cook it all I chopped the veggies into fairly large pieces. The cabbage leaves and the leafy parts of the chinese broccoli were set aside to add at the end. The rest I threw into a hot wok with a bit of sesame oil and started to fry it all up. I then added the sauce and let it simmer for a minute before adding the leafy greens. Once the leafy things are added it really only needs to cook for another minute or two. You want the leaves to soften, without turning to mush. When it is all ready, serve it over some rice (I used basmati), then top it with a little more cilantro.

And voila!

This meal can also be made completely vegan if you omit the fish sauce. If you do this, add a few extra squirts of soy sauce.

Hungry now? :)

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE satay sauce, yum yum - when do we eat :o) Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha me too, it's great with so many things!

      Delete
  2. Kat. I think you should adopt me.

    But really. This is looks delicious. I'm vegetarian, and always looking for delicious ways to eat more veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me laugh. I'm not actually a vegetarian, but my meals turn out vegetarian more often than not for some reason. I think I'm just too poor to afford meat.

      Delete
  3. That looks good! I love the all the veggies you put in there and coconut milk is so yummy as a sauce base. I like to use coconut cream because it is less watery and more creamy. I love cilantro too!

    -Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could probably eat coconut cream right out of the can lol! Also, I've heard there is a percentage of people who taste soap when they eat cilantro. Those poor people!

      Delete
  4. Thumbs up for making enormous pots of rice for leftovers. Semi-related, but you can get vegetarian "oyster" sauce - it's usually mushroom-based. I also sometimes use kelp powder to give vegetarian dishes a little bit of fishiness, but a little goes a long way with stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best lazy cooking! And I had no idea about the vegetarian oyster sauce! That sounds really interesting, I'll have to look for it.

      Delete